By Philippine News Agency This was announced both by Gates and Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg during World Economic Forum in Davos on Wednesday afternoon, the report said. The initial investment in the newly formed Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) will be of around four billion kroner. In addition to the Norwegian government and the foundation of Bill and Melinda Gates, there is also the British Wellcome foundation that will invest 855 million kroner, as well as Japan and Germany. “The time that you have to come up with something to reduce the spread of deadly infectious diseases is quite short. And historically, it takes years to develop new vaccines. By the time they are ready, it is already too late,” Gates told Aftenposten. “The most critical is flu epidemic. The amount of damage in that case could be completely unimaginable. The best known is the Spanish flu in 1917 where you had a death rate of five percent in many countries. Mortality was higher than during WWI,” he said. In such a scenario, according to the report, 30 million could die during 12 months. In case people take vaccine during 22 weeks, the figure will be much more… Read full this story
- Bill Gates says coronavirus vaccine could require multiple doses
- The race for a vaccine
- How does India’s vaccine manufacturing prowess place it in the fight against COVID-19?
- Bill Gates says Korean firm could make 200 million Covid-19 vaccines by June
- Coronavirus doctor's diary: Will vaccine sceptics make trials a headache?
- Indonesia Steps Up in COVID-19 Vaccine Race
- Won’t profit from COVID-19 vaccine in pandemic, says AstraZeneca
- Covid-19 vaccine development progressing well, says AstraZeneca
- Won't profit from COVID-19 vaccine in pandemic: AstraZeneca
- Covid Speed Read: Experts debate vaccine shots; India Inc seen to be more resilient amid pandemic
Bill Gates, Norway to invest in vaccines against epidemics have 290 words, post on lifestyle.mb.com.ph at January 19, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.