Story highlights A personalized vaccine against acute myeloid leukemia proved effective in trials Most patients who receive chemotherapy relapse within a few years The vaccine offers the potential for longer-term remission (CNN)A new vaccine helped leukemia patients fight their cancer and stay in remission for an average of almost five years, according to new study. Patients who had undergone chemotherapy to treat acute myeloid leukemia received vaccines personalized to their own form of the disease, to stimulate a potent immune attack against it and reduce the likelihood of their cancer returning. Can your own immune system kill cancer? For the trial, people over the age of 60 were particularly targeted, as only 15% to 20% of this age group remains leukemia-free for two years, on average, after receiving chemotherapy. During the study, published in Science Translational Medicine on Wednesday, the vaccine was shown to more than double this average remission period for the majority of people involved in the trial. “More than 70% of patients had gone 4½ years without their leukemia coming back,” said Dr. Jacalyn Rosenblatt, associate professor at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center at Harvard Medical School, who led the research. “We need better therapies to… Read full this story
- From near death to the all clear – is this man proof doctors can FINALLY beat cancer?
- Scientists James Allison and Tasuku Honjo win Nobel Prize for ‘game-changing’ work on new cancer therapies
- NHS to fund 'game-changing' personalised cancer drug
- ‘Breakthrough’ personalised cancer treatment rejected for NHS use
- Young cancer victims among first to get pioneering new treatment on NHS
- ‘Ghost’ army of blood cells attack cancer
- Facebook found to be promoting 'dangerous' homemade cancer cures
- BBC podcast You, Me And The Big C starring The Sun’s Deborah James reveals how you CAN live with cancer
- New world-first trial for treatment of childhood cancer
- NHS rejects blood cancer 'cure' because it costs too much
Cancer vaccine prolongs remission in leukemia patients in trial have 308 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 7, 2016. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.