The destruction of the Assyrian city of Nimrud is a catastrophe for Iraq and for our shared cultural history. Peoples come and go, drifting in the mists of time. These relics were the rocks of ages. The bulldozing by Islamic State of Nineveh, the flattening of Hatra, the demolition in Raqqa and now the destruction of Nimrud wipe from the map what were the great precursor cities of the European era. There is no beating about the bush. Nothing in the history of this benighted region, no brutal king, no imperial satrap, no Ba’athist rogue, initiated anything as horrific as what came in the train of George W Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq. By deliberately destroying order and government in Baghdad and sowing chaos, the American and British invaders created a hell on Earth. There is no truer maxim than that a lifetime of tyranny is better than a week of anarchy. In the name of “western values”, hundreds of thousands have been killed and millions driven from their homes. Those values have wiped out the oldest Christian community in the world. Every church in Mosul has been demolished. And all to appease Bush’s lust for revenge against Saddam Hussein’s… Read full this story
- Taijul Islam Helps Bangladesh Beat The Windies In First Test
- Rob Collard Rewards WSR Rebuild With Podium
- Hero fresher 'drowned while trying to save someone he heard calling for help'
- Why the town destroyed by California’s Camp Fire is rebuilding
- Spectrum Volunteers Team Up with Rebuilding Together in Duarte
- A beginner’s guide to the music of Kanye West
- Fallout 76’s New Camera Quest Helped Me Fall In Love With The Game's Broken Beauty
- India vs West Indies: We did a very good job with the ball, says Kemar Roach
- The website that helps people leave the Mormon Church
- How teens battling cancer are being helped during the festive seasons
Rebuilding Nimrud will help atone for the sins of the west have 309 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 17, 2016. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.