U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., plans to skip the Republican National Convention in July, he told Capitol Hill reporters Tuesday.A tough fight to defend his seat will keep him home, McCain said. McCain faces several Republican primary challengers, and U.S. Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, D-Ariz., is also seeking to unseat him.”I have to campaign for re-election, and I have always done that when I’m up,” he told The Hill. “We have a late primary in Arizona” on Aug. 30.But McCain hasn’t missed a convention in more than 30 years, according to CNN. He has been a featured speaker going back to at least 1984.McCain isn’t the only senator with doubts about attending what could be a chaotic and divisive national convention. VALDEZ: McCain skipping GOP convention? He’s not aloneDonald Trump hasn’t yet won enough delegates to secure the nomination outright, and Sen. Ted Cruz is battling the real-estate mogul for presidential delegates to support the Texas senator in a convention fight. If Trump loses at the convention, he has predicted his supporters will riot.The prospect of such a scene has Sens. Mark Kirk of Illinois, Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Richard Burr of North Carolina considering skipping the event, CNN said. Some corporate sponsors are also debating whether to scale back involvement.National Democrats seized on… Read full this story
- ‘He’s Dying Anyway’: White House Aide’s Crass ‘Joke’ About Sen. John McCain
- In film, Sen. John McCain says Americans deserve more from Washington
- Ben Domenech says Sen. John McCain's "doing well" and "reflecting" at home
- Sen. John McCain has harsh words for Trump in emotional new memoir
- Meghan McCain, Sen. Lindsey Graham give upbeat updates on Sen. John McCain's health
- Is President Donald Trump unwelcome at Sen. John McCain's funeral?
- Meghan McCain tells Orrin Hatch, others to 'chill out' about her father, Sen. John McCain
- In new book, ailing Sen. John McCain makes final plea for immigration reform
- Sen. John McCain urges Senate to reject CIA nominee Gina Haspel over torture, morality
- Report: White House official mocked Sen. John McCain as 'dying anyway'
Sen. John McCain will skip the Republican convention have 346 words, post on www.usatoday.com at April 19, 2016. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.