Ken Butters has seen some houses in his middle class El Mirage neighborhood that look horrible. And he’s seen some that look great.”Ours is one of them that looks great,” Butters said, adding that he decided to buy the home 1 1/2 years ago because it was so well-kept.But late last year, Butters was one of more than 1,200 homeowners — roughly 75 percent of the neighborhood — in Rancho El Mirage who received a notice from their HOA saying they had 14 days to start repainting the outside of their homes.The uneasy balance between protecting property values and property rights had been upset.Chaos and finger-pointing ensued. Outraged residents claimed they were blindsided by the pricey demand while the HOA board insisted it was protecting property values and said residents had been warned for more than a year. Complaints were made, and politicians got involved.The rift has motivated some state legislators who want to pass laws to limit HOA power.MORE: Experts say get involved in HOAs | Overcoming HOA isolation in West ValleyFour months later, not much has changed, and some residents are still in a stand off with the neighborhood board.As HOAs have become ubiquitous across the Valley, so have bitter squabbles between them and the homeowners they are supposed to protect.Some Rancho… Read full this story
- HOA disciplinary hearings: not a public court process
- Newsom ‘strike force: ’ Give PG&E legal protection from devastating cost of future wildfires
- Proposed new laws could limit who you can sue and how much you can get
- Rent vs. Buy? How to Know What's Right for You
- Photographers Reveal The Stories Behind 2014's Most Powerful Pictures
- One Big Reason Millennials Are Buying Homes? For Their Dogs
- ‘All in this together.’ Newsom says protect utilities, spread costs of future wildfires
- 125,762 live mortgage-free in Riverside County. What towns have the most?
- 5 people at Cheyenne Mountain zoo hospitalized after massive hailstorm; flash flood warning issued
- Both sides mislead on California rent control initiative
Can an El Mirage HOA force 1,200 homeowners to repaint? have 324 words, post on www.usatoday.com at March 16, 2016. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.