Correction: Michael Curley, 26, was killed in a hit-and-run in Ann Arbor while bicycling home from a downtown restaurant. His name was incorrect in a previous version. As the father of a 13-year-old daughter who was struck by a hit-and-run driver and died over the weekend, Habetamu Dirba’s anguish could not be more heartbreaking. “Why, why, why, why,” he wailed. “Even if we hit a little animal, we stop. This is a human being.” On the morning of Oct. 28 , Helina Dirba, a Waverly High School ninth-grader in Lansing, decided to walk to school after she missed the bus. Twenty minutes later, her father left the house to drive to the store and happened upon the accident scene. “It was crowded all around my neighborhood,” said Habetamu Dirba, an Ethiopian native. “When I parked, two people came to me and they say: ‘Are you Mr. Dirba?’ Then, they hold my hand and say ‘I’m sorry.’ ” He agonizes over why a person would flee after hitting a child. “We all can get in accidents one day, but we can’t run away,” Habetamu Dirba said. “Whatever happened, I still believe that driver could have stopped for a minute and call… Read full this story
- Boston Bombing Survivor Adrianne Haslet After Car Strike: Don’t Call Me a ‘Victim’
- Speedboat death victim’s family brand killer ‘coward’ for not showing up to sentencing – as he’s jailed for six years in his absence
- Midlife crisis hits young dot-commers
- School shootings: How parents can cope with their own fears and anxieties
- Keeping Kids In Detention With Their Parents Is A Recipe For Abuse. Just Ask Australia.
- CIH virus finds a few victims
- Prosecutors in Jayme Closs case weigh punishment, concern for victim
- ‘I Was the Victim of a Hate Crime. Running Helped Me Heal’
- US sex offenders' registries hit the Net
- Linux vendors hit back at Ballmer's email
Keenan: Special anguish of parents of hit, run victims have 310 words, post on www.detroitnews.com at November 2, 2015. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.