For 10 years, Annette Miller’s federally funded housing voucher for those with low incomes helped anchor her in a modest duplex in West Oakland while many of her neighbors were priced out and had to leave. But those secure days may be coming to an end — not just for Miller, but for thousands like her. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is considering cutting their rental subsidies so low they may have to move out of the city. The Housing Crisis LocalBy Lizzie JohnsonAffordable housing eligibility would be expanded under Prop. KOpinionBy John DiazHousing is No. 1 issue in city electionLocalBy Chip JohnsonRichmond’s rent-control battle was brutal, but right choice… At a time when rents are ballooning in Oakland, HUD has proposed lowering its “fair market rent” for Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Fair market rent — in this case for a two-bedroom home at the 40th percentile of the rental market — is the benchmark that dictates how much local housing authorities can pay for federally funded vouchers, also known as Section 8 subsidies. Section 8 is one of the nation’s most important housing programs, and it works like this: HUD funds local housing authorities, who… Read full this story
- Bay Area political events: East Bay shoreline, politics of fire
- SF sues landlord over state of housing for once-homeless vets
- Refugee arrivals to Bay Area, US are plunging under Trump
- Former S.F. SRO to provide housing, services for homeless vets
- Bay Area family’s choice: Apart in U.S. or together in Mexico?
- Los Angeles officials tell governor Gavin Newsom to declare a state of emergency over area's homeless problem to open up funds usually reserved for natural disasters
- Supervisor Matt Haney wants SF to help out federal workers who aren’t getting paid
- To-go coffee cups could become a thing of the past in the Bay Area
- As Biden weathers Trump's criticism on Ukraine, supporters worry about possible impact on candidacy
- Hubris fears rise as markets embrace Trump tax cuts
East Bay housing officials fear impact of federal voucher cut have 325 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at October 21, 2015. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.