CNN columnist John D. Sutter is spending the rest of the year reporting on a tiny number — 2 degrees — that may have a huge effect on the future of the planet. He’d like your help. Subscribe to the “2 degrees” newsletter or follow him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can shape his coverage. (CNN)Climate change is all about degrees. Six degrees Celsius of warming may not sound like much — probably because “temperatures can swing by 6 degrees within an hour if a warm front passes, and it doesn’t mean the end of the world,” said Mark Lynas, author of a book called “Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet.” But if we raise global average surface temperatures by just 6 degrees above pre-industrial levels, Lynas told me, we’ll create “a scenario which is so extreme it’s almost unimaginable.” “Most of the planetary surface would be functionally uninhabitable,” he said. “Agriculture would cease to exist everywhere, apart for the polar and sub-polar regions, and perhaps the mid-latitudes for extremely heat-tolerant crops. It’s difficult to see how crops could be grown elsewhere. There’s a certain level above which plants just can’t survive. JUST WATCHED 2 degrees Celsius:… Read full this story
- Thousands to Join March Against Climate Change on Saturday in Helsinki
- Climate change and development aid: The economic case for prevention
- Climate change: 1.5C is worth striving for – but is it feasible?
- Groups to protest outside Dáil to call for Govt action on climate change
- Met Éireann say ‘no simple answer’ on whether recent weather events are linked to climate change
- Bitcoin may cause catastrophic climate change by 2033, study warns
- Climate change protesters who shut down Bloor Viaduct charged with mischief
- Extreme weather in UK due to climate change, weather body says
- EIB survey: 70% of Spaniards believe climate change is a threat to humanity
- Why taking action on climate change will be of benefit to all
On 6 degrees of climate change have 313 words, post on edition.cnn.com at May 21, 2015. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.