After four straight seasons without a postseason appearance, the 2015 Chicago Bears could use a draft like the one the franchise enjoyed a half-century ago.Provided it actually corresponded to team success this time around.The Bears landed two of their most iconic players in running back Gale Sayers and linebacker Dick Butkus with the Nos. 3 and 4 overall respective picks in the 1965 draft.Sayers and Butkus? Although both can take solace in the legacies they built both during and after their NFL careers, neither made the playoffs before retiring as member of the Bears.”We could never seem to get over the hump,” said ex-Bears safety Richie Petitbon, a teammate of Butkus and Sayers from 1965-68. “It was just a strange thing.”So was the draft that brought Sayers and Butkus to the Windy City. HOW IT CAME TO PASSOnly four other classes in the past 50 years yielded at least two Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees chosen by one team.Collegians selected by Pittsburgh in 1970 (Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount) and 1974 (Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Jack Lambert and Mike Webster) would win four Super Bowls with the Steelers. Tampa Bay’s 1995 duo of defensive tackle Warren Sapp and linebacker… Read full this story
- 50 Years Ago, Truman Capote Hosted the Best Party Ever
- The Battle of the Bogside was 50 years ago – so why are the same mistakes being made right now?
- The Libertarian Party, born in Colorado 50 years ago, still seeks elusive mainstream acceptance
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Premiered in Theaters 50 Years Ago Today
- Neanderthals and Homo sapiens lived TOGETHER in Israel's Negev Desert 50,000 years ago, carbon dating research finds
- Whales Evolved From Tiny Deer Like Animals That Walked the Earth 50 Million Years Ago, Finds Study
- 50 Years Later, ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ Still Charms and Challenges
- After 50 Years, The $15.3 Billion Hunt Family Just Won The Super Bowl. Here’s Who They Are
- Billions could face temperatures inhospitable to life in the next 50 years, study finds
- Joe Delaney Gave His Life Trying to Rescue Drowning Children, 38 Years Ago Today
50 years ago, Bears landed Butkus & Sayers in same draft – but the wins never followed have 331 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 29, 2015. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.