Around 4 p.m. on December 13, 2011, Justin Repshas’s girlfriend dropped him off at his studio apartment in downtown Charleston, South Carolina. The couple arranged to meet for dinner later and then study for finals at the college library. Meantime, Repshas, 22, told her, he’d take a nap or go running.That April, Repshas had completed Charleston’s premier 10K road race, the Cooper River Bridge Run, in a time of 44:20. Most often these days, however, he ran just to cope with the stress of college life. “I had this little 3-mile route I’d take,” Repshas recalls. “It went down a heavily traveled road and then cut over to a quieter street.”Shortly after his girlfriend left, he laced up. “I vaguely remember heading out my door,” he says. “My next memory was waking up in a hospital bed.”Most of us have been schooled ad naseum about cardiovascular plumbing catastrophes. Chief among these is the classic heart attack, or myocardial infarction, which typically happens when a piece of cholesterol-laden plaque ruptures and causes a clot to form in a coronary artery, quickly starving the heart muscle of oxygen-rich blood.Less well known but equally lethal is sudden cardiac arrest, or SCA. This is… Read full this story
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: Higher in Blacks?
- WNBA Star Donates Half Her Salary to Preventing Deaths From Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Young Man Who Spent 3 Years at Rikers Island as a Teen Without Being Convicted Kills Himself
- Pastor accused of drugging and sexually assaulting a young man
- Muhammad Ali, From Fiery Young Man to Serene Survivor, Dead at 74
- How a young man, 21, who broke his back in a horror crash defied the odds and rescued his mother from the wreckage
- Preparing for a cardiac emergency
- Texas man, 26, nearly dies of a heart attack triggered by his 10-a-day energy drink habit
- Man Who Jumped Out Of NYC Freezer And Died Had Just Left Boston Jail
- Connecticut Murder Suspect Arrested In Halifax Break-Ins
Sudden Cardiac Arrest: The Young Man's Heartstopper have 320 words, post on www.menshealth.com at September 22, 2014. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.