It came in with a whisper, and went out when hardly anybody was looking. In between, though, the Rolaids Relief Man Award stocked literally hundreds of rumpus rooms and trophy cases. Thanks to a very special delivery in Cleveland Tuesday morning, we can finally wish the gold-plated fireman’s helmet a fond and well-deserved farewell …Contrary to popular opinion, Tony La Russa didn’t invent relief pitching. That great honor belongs to Hall of Fame manager John McGraw, who came up with a relief ace more than a century ago. Later, the dynastic Yankees would feature world-famous reliefers in the 1920s (Wilcy Moore), the 1930s (Johnny “Grandma” Murphy) and 1940s (Joe Page). In 1950, the Phillies’ Jim Konstanty made 74 relief appearances, went 16-7 with 22 saves, and became the first fireman to garner league Most Valuable Player honors. Just two years later, Brooklyn’s Joe Black went 15-4 with a 2.15 ERA and finished third in MVP balloting.But that was about as good as things would get. The Cy Young Award was introduced in 1956. In that award’s first four years, 11 pitchers garnered at least some support, but none were pure relievers. So in 1960, The Sporting News created a Fireman… Read full this story
- What Blue Peter presenters did after show - from drag acts to devastating illness
- Tilda Swinton, 59, puts on an animated display as she departs the 77th Venice Film Festival with boyfriend Sandro Kopp, 42
- The 'real' threat to Russia’s former doping mastermind
- How we spent our summer not-vacations
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Chi Chi DeVayne to Dame Vera Lynn
- Meghan and Harry news: Pair likely to ‘spend next summer in UK’ as Duchess’ mum starts teaching kids to make jewellery
- I feared I’d never become a mum… until my sister-in-law had my baby
- 'My Son Was Killed in a Shooting, on the First Day of His PhD Scholarship'
- I'm A Celebrity 2020: Stars set to battle freezing temperatures and survive without a ROOF as bosses confirm first UK-based series will be based at derelict 200-year-old haunted Gwrych Castle in Wales... (and ITV shelled out £1m for the privilege)
Kissing the Rolaids Relief Award goodbye have 348 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 9, 2014. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.