Photo: BULENT KILIC/2014 AFP A brief and delicate truce declared Wednesday night in Kiev faltered hours later as protesters, believing it to be a ruse, rushed police, who opened fire on them at the beginning of what turned out to be the deadliest day of fighting yet in the Ukrainian capital. Meanwhile, the Council of the European Union voted to impose targeted sanctions on the Ukraine as Thursday’s violence settled into an uneasy calm by nighttime. Earlier in the day, protesters moved into new positions and rebuilt their barricades, hurling Molotov cocktails at police and taking officers captive amid automatic rifle and sniper fire. Protest medics told CNN that more than 100 had died, while the Associated Press reported 70 dead and 500 injured on Thursday. The new round of fighting started just after dawn, the New York Times reports, when “young men in ski masks” moved through an opening in a barricade in Independence Square, the protest’s epicenter. They “ran across a hundred yards of smoldering debris and surged toward riot police officers who were firing at them with shotguns.” The new push lasted until about 10 a.m., by which time protesters had retaken the entire square. “They are just delaying to make… Read full this story
- European Union unveils plans to regulate AI
- EU to Sanction Nine Individuals in Connection With Donbass Elections - Source
- Berlin, Other EU Members Oppose Slapping Russia With More Sanctions – Envoy
- Iran Rebukes New U.S. Sanctions, Says It Has 'No Right to Talk' About Free Elections
- Italian Author on Why EU Needs to Be Either Transformed or Dissolved
- Europe braces for Kremlin reprisals over Ukraine conflict
- EU opens trade door to Vietnam, closes it to Cambodia
- Ukip MEPs misused EU allowances to fund party's UK work
- 100 days after the Brexit vote: what should Theresa May do next?
- Ukraine sticks to positions on Russia but leaves room for "compromises"
Kiev Truce Dissolves Into Gunfire and Flames as European Union Approves Sanctions have 308 words, post on nymag.com at February 20, 2014. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.