Classic novels are regarded as unattractive by young readers, while publishers are failing in persuading readers back to the genre. Nguyen Thi Minh Thai, lecturer of the University of Social Sciences and Humanities said young people were reading fewer classic literary works. A survey conducted among high school and university students showed that most of them had little knowledge about classic world literature or only vaguely remembered Vietnamese classical literature. Many young people said they could only understand the novels by watching film adaptations. Meanwhile, romance novels, especially Chinese adult novels, have remained an irresistible treat for readers of all ages. Thanh Nga, a 12th grade student at Hanoi’s Lomonosov High School, said she owned nearly 100 popular romance novels. “They are much easier to read and understand than the classics.” she said. The publishing houses have tried to encourage young people to read classic novels by attempting to promote a ‘reading culture’. However, some claimed this movement is being backfired. Joe Ruelle, a foreign blogger in Vietnam, said the publishing industry in Vietnam was quite small so reading had not become a habit of many people. He said sales of 20,000 copies for a title were considered a success… Read full this story
- Kaia Gerber Reportedly Prompts Pregnancy Speculation With Photo and Parenting Book: 'Read Into This'
- Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
- Writers and critics on the best books of 2013
- Books: Events for week of Feb. 2
- Book up for a longer life: readers die later, study finds
- Margaret Atwood is one of this year’s Booker Prize winner. Here are her top 5 books you must read
- Country files: nature writers on the books that inspired them
- The Observer's books of the year
- World Book Night criticised for all-white 2016 giveaway list
- Gandhi Jayanti 2019: A million students read Gandhi, create world record
Experts bemoan decline in classic book reading have 297 words, post on dtinews.vn at March 1, 2013. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.