Surrounded at home by energetic grandchildren on his 85th birthday, former Penn State coach Joe Paterno offered his family perspective about the turbulent two months during which he lost his job and learned he had lung cancer. The Hall of Fame coach wasn’t dwelling on being fired over the phone following 46 seasons. ”Joe never sits around and complains about what’s happened to him,” his son, Jay, said Friday. ”We’re sitting there on his birthday and he said, `Look, I’ve got 17 healthy grandkids, I’ve got give five healthy kids’ … Joe’s always a guy who looks at the bright side (of) everything.” The elder Paterno was dismissed last month in the aftermath of child sex abuse charges against retired assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. Paterno was diagnosed several days later with what his family has called a treatable form of lung cancer. Jay Paterno, the Nittany Lions’ quarterbacks coach, said his father, who turned 85 on Dec. 21, is improving as he continues to take radiation and chemotherapy treatments. ”He’s a fighter. … He never gets down,” he said. ”He fights and this is another challenge for him.” Jay Paterno and the Nittany Lions were at a Dallas high school… Read full this story
- “Paterno” movie a polarizing story with unanswered questions
- Health effects of coffee: Where do we stand?
- Mother, son survive tough kidney transplant surgery
- US firm, UNICEF help improve health of newborns in Vietnam
- Joe Biden defends his son Hunter's Ukraine dealings, answers for his gaffes in 60 Minutes interview
- 'Have you forgotten what you said two minutes ago?' Julian Castro, 44, astonishes Democrats by hinting that Joe Biden, 76, is struggling with his memory as they clash on health care
- 'Joe is not playing with a full deck' says Donald Trump as Biden escalates attack on president - but is tripped up by his own gaffes including saying 'poor kids are as bright and talented as white kids'
- Joe Biden warns Democrats that British Labour party's thumping defeat shows what happens to the radical left and calls UK prime minister Boris Johnson Donald Trump's 'physical and emotional clone'
- 5 years after Sandy Hook, mental health care worries linger
- 'Apologize for WHAT? I haven't a racist bone in my body.' Joe Biden slams Cory Booker for demanding he say sorry for praising segregationists notorious for using the n-word
Son: Joe Paterno’s health improving have 383 words, post on www.foxsports.com at December 30, 2011. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.