The U.S. Olympic team will prepare and train for the 2012 LondonGames at a university complex near the athletes’ village.The University of East London announced Wednesday that about 600U.S. athletes and 500 support staff will use its campuses, gyms andsports facilities, including a new $26.8 million indoor sportscenter that is expected to open next year.While the athletes will stay in the Olympic Village, the staffwill use the student dorms and set up their own sports science,medicine and media centers.“This is a great opportunity for our athletes and staff to usethese excellent facilities at UEL and to enter this partnership forthe 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” U.S. Olympic Committeechief executive officer Scott Blackmun said in a statement.American track and field athletes also plan to use facilities inthe central city of Birmingham before the Olympics.The new sports center includes a gymnasium and fitness center,two basketball and volleyball courts, two indoor soccer pitches, asports cafe and covered seating for 400 fans.“The facilities at UEL will ensure that our athletes are readyto compete,” said Mike English, the USOC’s chief of sportperformance.The UEL doesn’t have is a 400-meter running track or 50-meterpool.“There are not a lot of them in east London,” said Paul Ford,the university’s… Read full this story
- Game of Thrones: The Last Watch
- Netball: The men's teams growing in a 'girls' sport
- The unthinkable could be about to happen in Welsh rugby
- Violent incidents in Welsh rugby almost saw England star quit
- Pro rugby player graduates in physics from Bristol Uni
- The Ties that Bind
- Class Act: Where are they now?
- Dutch footballer sacked for throwing Ajax sickie
- 11 times Cambridgeshire broke the Guinness World Record books
- Crisis-hit Greeks foot steep bills for health and education
US team to train at London university before games have 287 words, post on www.foxsports.com at March 10, 2010. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.