Tax headaches and connectivity problems could stifle U.K. Kindle sales, as Amazon introduced on Wednesday its e-book reader to the British public.To the delight of my fellow UK e-book fans, Amazon announced that the Kindle 2 would be available from October 19. The Kindle was long overdue in the U.K., where it is expected to finally kick-start the e-book market, but it might not be the case yet, as the U.K. version of the Amazon Kindle is only half-baked.Because U.K. Kindle buyers will have to order the e-book reader from Amazon’s U.S. site, customers will have to pay extra tax for the device, due to the country’s regulations. Also, because books will be sold from the U.S. site as well, customers would be technically avoiding the Value Added Tax (VAT) system in Britain, which if applied, would make the books more expensive.Amazon also had difficulties making Kindle’s Whispernet wireless download system (hosted by AT&T in the U.S.) work in the U.K, so the company had to resort to downloads via the country’s 3G network. Outside 3G coverage, users will have to transfer content to their Kindle over USB.So if you buy a Kindle in the U.K, you will be able… Read full this story
- Will Change of Oval Office Occupant Mean Change of Washington's Heart Towards the UK?
- Lotto results and draw live: Winning Lottery numbers for triple rollover jackpot
- Pub manager owes £250,000 lottery win to his boozer's lemon shortage
- UK May Turn Into 'International Outsider' if Biden Enters Office, Labour Official Claims
- Tormented mum of tragic Harry Dunn hopes Joe Biden win will finally bring justice
- War hero tells how SAS Who Dares Wins star Ant Middleton saved him from brink of suicide
- Digger driver wins £250k on scratchcard and makes humble plans for a new hot tub
- Ex-UK Envoy Predicts Post-US Election Future of London-Washington 'Special Relationship'
- Superdad who's run 15,000 miles across extreme terrain wins award from Queen
- Vaccinating UK will put 'huge pressure' on GPs and 'delay routine check-ups'
How Kindle Could Win (or Not) in the UK have 341 words, post on www.networkworld.com at October 6, 2009. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.