Ghana is celebrating her 51st Independence Anniversary this year. In other words, 51 years ago Ghana wrenched her political independence from colonial Britain to become the first independent country in black Africa on 6th March, 1957.It is common knowledge that before independence Ghana was known as the Gold Coast. The struggle for the independence had not been easy at all. The independence was not granted on a silver platter. People had to shed tears and blood. Lives had to be sacrificed here and there. This explains why the first sentence uttered by Osagyefo Dr Kwame Nkrumah on the even of the proclamation of independence was: “At long last, the battle has ended; and Ghana, our beloved country, is free for ever!” What battle was he talking about?It is therefore imperative that any time we celebrate the independence anniversary of this blessed land called Ghana, we must never forget to pay tribute to our national heroes. Do you remember that on 28th February, 1948 war veterans like Sergeant Adjetey, Corporal Attipoe and Private Odartey Lamptey were gunned down like armed robbers when they went to present a petition to the Colonial Governor of the Gold Coast at the Christianborg Castle at… Read full this story
- Houston, we have duct tape and a sock: 50 years ago Apollo 13 set out for the Moon - only for a freak accident to plunge their lives into peril. The ingenuity of how they made it home is even more incredible than Hollywood imagined
- Leonardo DiCaprio Announces $20 Million Grant to Battle Climate Change and 'Build a Brighter Future'
- Star Trek’s 50-year mission: to shine a light on the best of humankind
- The 50-year old Silicon Valley lab that practically invented modern computing
- Inside the Beatles' messy breakup, 50 years ago
- Berkeley Teen's Liberal Views Haven't Budged in 50 Years
- Radioactive carbon that formed in the atmosphere during Cold War atomic bomb tests helps scientists determine the age of a 50-year-old endangered whale shark for the first time
- After 50 Years of Effort, Researchers Made Silicon Emit Light
- Who Will Win the Oscars Next Year If No More Movies Come Out This Year?
- Ghana's lavish funerals can last up to seven days. Now, a century's old tradition has gone online
Brighter Future for Ghana After 50 Years of Independence have 361 words, post on ezinearticles.com at February 29, 2008. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.