UK businesses have backed calls for computers to be sold ‘naked’ – without a bundled Microsoft Windows operating system. Earlier this week European think tank the Globalisation Institute made a submission to the EC proposing that all PCs and laptops should be sold without an OS in order to foster competition and bring down prices, saying the current practice “imposes an extra cost on virtually every EU business”. Three-quarters of silicon.com’s 12-strong CIO Jury IT director panel have now backed that call for naked PCs, although the argument is far from straightforward. Carl Whitehead, IT director at Betbrokers, said naked PCs without an OS would probably increase choice and reduce costs for about a third of buyers. He said: “The rule should be that wherever a PC or laptop is sold with an installed OS, it must always also be available without an OS but with any utilities the manufacturer feels like including. This will help to limit the monopoly marketing power of the big players, who have an interest in reducing choice and flexibility.”Vista: all the coverage… Vista – when will business take the plunge?Gates: Vista selling faster than XPTesco.com takes stock with Windows Vista CIO Jury: IT chiefs… Read full this story
- Best PC gaming deals of the week - 13th December 2019
- New Guide That Will Help Senior Drivers Get Cheaper Car Insurance
- World Renown Speaker and Top Sales Strategist Joe Pici Teaches Dying Skill to Help Businesses
- When will cars in Vietnam be cheaper?
- Final Fantasy XV's DLSS boosts PC performance by around 10-15fps on the RTX 2080
- Family’s anguish as suspect in the shooting of PC Yvonne Fletcher is released from bail – as cops say national security prevents evidence being used against him in court
- Valuations have become cheaper led by earnings: Sonam Udasi, Tata Asset Management
- How To Obtain Cheaper Auto Insurance Premiums This Winter
- Apple Arcade just got a lot cheaper, if you're willing to pay for a whole year
- Newly-single Victoria's Secret model Shanina Shaik strips down naked in a daring photo shoot... after filing for divorce from DJ Ruckus
Are 'naked PCs' cheaper for businesses? have 345 words, post on www.techrepublic.com at September 27, 2007. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.