They inhabit self-imposed ghettoes, subject to derision and worse, the perennial targets of far-right thugs and populist politicians of all persuasions. They are mostly confined to menial jobs. They are accused of spreading crime, terrorism and disease, of being backward and violent, of refusing to fit in.Their religion, atavistic and rigid, insists on ritual slaughter and male circumcision. They rarely mingle socially or inter-marry. Most of them – though born in European countries – are not allowed to vote. Brown-skinned and with a marked foreign accent, they are subject to police profiling and harassment and all manner of racial discrimination.They are the new Jews of Europe – its Muslim minorities.Muslims – especially Arab youths from North Africa – are, indeed, disproportionately represented in crime, including hate crime, mainly against the Jews. Exclusively Muslim al-Qaida cells have been discovered in many West European countries. But this can be safely attributed to ubiquitous and trenchant long-term unemployment and to stunted upward mobility, both social and economic due largely to latent or expressed racism.Moreover, the stereotype is wrong. The incidence of higher education and skills is greater among Muslim immigrants than in the general population – a phenomenon known as “brain drain”. Europe… Read full this story
- New Zealand official slams Facebook as 'morally bankrupt liars'
- Spreading little-known history of Romaniote Jews
- From the archives: Snapshots of New York's mood after 9/11
- Torahs rescued from pair of New York thieves bound for Eastern Europe
- Shameful silence on anti-Semitism: The Economist ignores hateful rhetoric aimed at Jews
- Facebook, Google And Twitter Hit By New Legal Regulation To 'Clean Up Their Acts'
- Research program offers Jewish New Yorkers cheap testing for cancer gene mutations
- Though New Yorkers get used to cop murders obscenely fast, the killing of Police Officer Brian Moore is no less a tragedy
- Michael Douglas reveals anti-Semitic attack on 14-year-old son Dylan in Europe
- ART MUSCLE. A Klimt painting fetches huge bucks - and New York takes notice
Europe's New Jews have 315 words, post on ezinearticles.com at April 23, 2005. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.