I’m standing in the fading light of a Bolivian fall day, watching–along with much of the village of Tahana–as Anthony Harckham, with tools and wires in hand, heaves his 6-foot-plus Canadian frame onto the corrugated steel roof of a small, mud-walled home. With the glacial peaks of Mount Illampu, the northern bookend to Bolivia’s Cordillera Real, as a backdrop, Anthony improvises a way to tack up a 15-by-20-centimeter solar panel with wood screws, and then he feeds wires from the panel under the eaves and into the home. I squeeze into the home’s small living space to watch Anthony and his wife, Faith, connect the wires to a 12-volt lead-acid battery pack, which is wired through a switch box to a pair of lamps–transparent plastic boxes each jammed with a dozen white light-emitting diodes, or LEDs. One lamp hangs from a narrow ceiling beam, while a second is located in an adjoining lean-to that serves as a kitchen. The sun is all but gone when the Harckhams finally flip a toggle switch and the LEDs jump to life to cast a bluish beam of light, eliciting smiles from the homeowners and their excited, chattering neighbors. The Harckhams, a pair of… Read full this story
- Light and shadows: Skin bleaching in Uganda
- Dad faces jail for jumping light and smashing into biker
- Melanie Griffith’s Aspen mansion — featuring gondola access and a 9,000-bottle wine cellar — sold for $4 million
- Consider Blackout Curtains to Save Energy and Control Light and Noise
- How do motion sensing lights and burglar alarms work?
- Science Projects for Kids: Light and Heat
- GE's new smart lights and switches take a shine to Google
- Here are the best Christmas lights and events around Arizona, and most are free
- Tree lightings and holiday light displays across Maryland, Delaware and Virginia
- Here's where you can see holiday tree lightings and displays in the Milwaukee area
Lighting Up the Andes have 313 words, post on spectrum.ieee.org at November 30, 2004. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.